Monday, December 15, 2008

Seker Pare


For days now I had been trying to get myself into the spirit of the holidays. The house had been decorated for about two weeks but I still hadn't gotten into that Christmas-y swing of things.


But nothing says Christmas for me like the smell of cookies and sweets baking away in the oven. So what better way to get into the Christmas mood than to start baking? By the end of the week, I should have ready our traditional family recipes for koulourakia and kourambiedes but to start things off today I decided to try my hand at a new recipe.


This weekend I found myself devouring an issue of a Greek food magazine called "Gastronomos;" an issue which I perused a number of times before but which really grabbed my attention the other day. I was salivating over many, if not all, of the dishes illustrated on the vibrant pages--it was the December 2006 issue of the magazine so, of course, it was dedicated to holiday cooking and the rich food set out against the rich Christmas color palette really brought out the holiday spirit in me.


One of the issue's articles featured Kaiti Koufonikola, owner of Cafe Avissinia in Athens' Monastiraki, cooking at home for the holidays. Kaiti Koufonikola's cooking, according to the article, combines the distinct cuisines of Constantinople and Northern Greece. I think her simple dishes spoke to me the most as the article so successfully illustrated her passion for cooking traditional, no frills recipes and sharing those heartwarming dishes with a large group of family and friends. I related not only to her style of cooking but to her style of entertaining and giving back to those who surround her through life's simple pleasures.


It is my daughter's "name-day" today--Dec. 15--as it is the feast day of St. Eleftherios and I've decided to prepare some of Kaiti Koufonikola's dishes for our family and friends who will visit us this evening. I'll share the rest with you later this week as I have yet to begin cooking (speaking of which, I really should get back to the task at hand) but today I wanted to share this recipe for Seker Pare which I adapted from Kaiti Koufonikola's recipe I found in the pages of "Gastronomos." Seker Pare are delightful "cookies," if you will, made with fine semolina, baked until golden and then soaked in sweet syrup. I love the texture of desserts that call for semolina (ravani being among my favorites) and plan on adding these simple seker pare to our family's holiday baking repertoire.


P.S. I'd like to send these cookies to Susan of Food Blogga for her Eat Christmas Cookies event. All the entries look absolutely delicious and it's a great way to swap cookie recipes and get into the spirit of the holidays. Have a look here!

Kali Orexi!






Seker Pare
(Adapted from a recipe by Kaiti Koufonikola featured in "Gastronomos")
Makes about 36 pieces


2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 to 3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup fine semolina
1/3 cup whole blanched almonds


Whisk together 2 1/2 cups of the flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Stir in the semolina and mix until just combined. Add the flour and mix until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl (use more of the remaining 1/2 cup flour as necessary--I finally used about 2 3/4 cup total).

Heat the oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment. Form the dough into balls about the size of a walnut shell and place on the parchment lined cookie sheets. Place a whole almond in the center of each ball, pushing it in so only half the almond is showing.

Bake until light golden. In the meantime, heat 2 cups of water with 2 cups of sugar and bring to a boil. Add a 3-inch piece of lemon peel and two vanilla beans, opened and scraped, and simmer mixture until the seker pare are done.
Once the seker pare are removed from the oven, spoon about half the hot syrup over and allow the cookies to sit for about 5 minutes. Spoon the remaining syrup over the sweets and serve at room temperature.




10 comments:

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Semolina is a favourite of mine as well...and syrup based cookies are absolutely to die for...thanks for sharing Maria!

Ivy said...

Maria, first of all Chronia Polla for Eleftheria. Would you believe it's the first time I've heard of seker pare. I love semoline as well and they look great.

Maria Verivaki said...

these look so good, i want to try them myself - they make a lovely change to kourambiedes

i find it very hard to get into the swing of christmas - it's my kids though that remind me of it every day!

Peter M said...

Xponia Polla to your daughter and I'm not surprised you were drawn to a recipe in Gastronomos...I grab a copy each month!

Seker Pare...often found in zaxaroplasteia in Thessaloniki and I love them for their almond flavour.

These will get snapped up in no-time...go make another batch!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Chronia Polla to your daughter. I will imagine myself sitting in this restaurant in Athens or a lovely taverna in NYC and having these for dessert.

Maria said...

Na 'ste kala!
I hadn't heard of seker pare prior to reading that article either! Seriously, these were so unbelievably simple and everyone that came by last night for Eleftheria's giorti loved them and asked for the recipe.

Hopie said...

Happy name day to Eleftheria. Those cookies look absolutely delicious!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I have always loved every Greek pastry I have tried. But seker pare are new to me. They sound so delicious. Thanks for sending them in. There really is nothing like baking to get you in a festive mood.

Dewi said...

Unquestionably sweet treats that I know I would love it. The addition of semolina flour is really interesting.
Cheers,
Elra

La Madame Chapeau said...

Hi there :) I've seen your page from Susan's Christmas Cookies Event.

I Love Sekerpare very much, too. I prefer them without semoline, but it's mostly made with it.

I can see why most of you didn't know about Sekerpare, coz I know it as a Turkish desert. (Seker means sugar in Turkish and "pare" is a Persian word that means 'piece')

But it is simply delicious and a great treat for any holiday season.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!