Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Butterflies, ladybugs, strawberries ... Oh my!

Two weeks ago today my little princess celebrated her fifth birthday! At the risk of sounding oh-so-cliche, I cannot believe five years have passed already. She seems quite grown up for her age--and as I too was always much too mature for my own good, I see a lot of myself in her. One key difference, however, is that she is much more outgoing than her Mommy...and that's a good thing. Aside from that she possesses much of the personality I do: she's got my love of reading, my romanticism, my creativity, my stubbornness, my affinity for perfection, my willingness to keep trying and--as most who know us can attest--she looks exactly like me ... my very own little clone!

We celebrated her birthday with family and friends and I made this special cake:


Inside was a buttery vanilla cake with layers of fresh cream whipped with Mascarpone cheese and dotted with sliced strawberries that were tossed in some sugar and raspberry preserves. The flowers, ladybugs, butterflies and strawberries on the cake's exterior were all molded from gumpaste and hand painted with some food-safe color dust mixed with lemon extract. The grass and basket-weave design were made of freshly whipped meringue buttercream frosting. All for my little girl ...

14 comments:

Betty's Cuisine said...

Oh my...Did you really make that birthday cake by yourself? What can I say...wonderful, piece of art...Happy birthday to your lovely daughter, enjoy the years you spend with her as time flies...I cannot realise how quickly both my daughters grew up and left home...Best wishes!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

OMG, Maria. What a gorgeous cake. I'm sure it took a lot of work and time to create. But we moms do that for our kids don't we? Enjoy your little "clone". They grow up too fast. Have a safe and fun holiday weekend.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful cake, Maria! Happy birthday to your daughter!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your daughter! What a gorgeous gorgeous cake!

Ivy said...

Happy belated birthday wishes for your precious little daughter. Na ti cheresai. You did a fantastic job with the cake.

Konstantina said...

Wow, Maria!!! That looks so perfect I just cannot believe it is real and edible!!!
All the best for your daughter's birthday!

Hopie said...

Wow, what a loving thing to do for your daughter. A real princess cake! Happy birthday to her.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

beautiful cake Maria! Best (belated) wishes for your daughter's b'day!

♥Rosie♥ said...

What a lot of work and time you've spent on this cake, this is utterly gorgeous Maria

Muneeba said...

u made this?? i thought ppl needed superpowers to pull something like this off! wow ... congrats on a job well done!

giz said...

What a memorable cake - you did a great job - you should be proud.

Maria Verivaki said...

all i can say is wow
you've got talent!

Maria Verivaki said...

and happy birthday to your little one!

Peter M said...

Bravo Maria...you've done a few birthdays and this cake with fondant looks as good as any from a bakery.