Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ravani tis Mamas -- Mom's Ravani

My mom's most sought after desserts by our family and friends are her Ravani and Baklava. My personal favorite, by far, has always been her Ravani. This moist semolina cake sweetened by just the right amount of cinnamon-scented syrup is sublime.

This Ravani was one of the first desserts I made for my husband and it quickly became one of his favorites as well. Some time ago, he even treated his co-workers to some and as such I bake a large pan every couple of months for him to bring to the office. This special Ravani makes an appearance at pretty much every one of our holiday tables, whether made by my mom or myself. It's a simple recipe that yields what I believe to be delicious results.

As tomorrow is Mother's Day I couldn't think of a better time to highlight my mom's Ravani and for this reason I am sending this to Ivy of Kopiaste as she is hosting a Celebrating Mother's Day event. I may be 31 but I still call my mom "Mommy." Always have, always will. So ... Mommy, I wish you a very Happy Mother's Day! I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your hard work and dedication to us girls (there are four of us) and for being such an amazing Giagia to your very lucky grandchildren. We love you ...

Ravani tis Mamas--Mom's Ravani
Makes a 13x9-inch Pan

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
6 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup simigdali psilo (fine semolina)
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

For the Syrup:
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon honey (preferably thyme)
2 cinnamon sticks
A couple drops of lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease your pan and set aside. Combine the flour, semolina and baking powder in a small bowl.

In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the butter and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and begin adding the flour mixture a little at a time until just combined.

Pour into pan and smooth with a rubber spatula. Bake at 425 degrees for about 5 minutes then lower oven to 350 degrees and bake until golden, about 30 minutes.

While the cake bakes, place all the ingredients for the syrup in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer on low until the cake is ready.

Using a ladle, add some of the hot syrup to the hot cake a little at a time until done. Set aside, cool to room temperature and serve.

17 comments:

elly said...

I like ravani a lot but it's funny - no one in my family ever really made it! I think I will have to give your mom's recipe a try. It looks delicious.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

It's a toss up between this and karidopita as my favourite Greek cake...This revani is a fine tribute to our mum Maria...looks great!

Ivy said...

Happy Mother's Day Maria mou to you and your mom. Your mom must be very proud of the daughter she has raised. I am drooling with your ravani even if it's early in the morning.

Maria Verivaki said...

well done - this is a greek classic, enjoyed all over greece
it is also commonly served as dessert in greek restaurants

Betty's Cuisine said...

Very good classic Greek recipe. The combination of some mastiha or vanilla ice cream on top is heaven!

gastroanthropologist said...

the cake looks so moist and delicious. Love the cinnamon scent. I'm 28 and I still call Mom and Dad, Mommy and Daddy too.

Ruth Daniels said...

I don't think I've ever tried ravani. Now I have to and no excuses about no recipes, either.

Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

Vicky said...

I am one of the luckiest who actually tasted it. It is like melting in mom's arms - so spoiled and satisfied that you don't want to think about anything else :) Thank you for sharing your mommy's love with us!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe from your mom. I would love to try this delicious dessert!

Hopie said...

This looks absolutely delicious. I've never baked with semolina before. Looks like I'll have to get started :-)

Peter M said...

Like Peter, this and karydopita are my faves. You mom gave you this recipe, now you make it for your husband and children - it's your recipe.

Happy Mother's day!

FoodJUnkie said...

I love ravani. It is always great with a big scoop of ice cream on top!

Konstantina said...

Hi Maria!
I have a small surprise for you in my blog!
If you want, go have a look!

Konstantina

♥Rosie♥ said...

A beautiful entry for Ivy's event Maria! A lovely post dedicated to your mum.

Rosie x

Thistlemoon said...

I love simple delicious desserts like this! Looks great! I don't think I have ever had Ravini before...

alexandra said...

Oh, I wish my mother lived closer to me so that I could make this for her. She would adore this. I need to find a shop where I can find fine semolina. My best bet might be ordering online.

tobias cooks! said...

the good old Ravani. I can't get enough of it. I love Kaimaki Ice cream with it.