Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sikoti me Kremmydia kai Hilopites--Calf's Liver with Caramelized Onions over Egg Pasta

Want a meal packed with flavor and vitamins that's ready in mere minutes? I sure do and that's why I turned to this dish the other night when trying to put together a healthy meal for my husband and children while simultaneously working on two cake orders.

To be honest, growing up I only enjoyed liver on Holy Saturday, when we'd break the fast held throughout Lent with a meal including fried sweetbreads, fried liver and patsa (tripe soup). As an adult, I still enjoy it on this sacred holiday but also like to include liver in my diet, and my family's for that matter, on other occasions as well.

This dish is a great way to do that and I urge you to try it. The caramelized onions lend a wonderful dimension of flavor to the liver and the wine takes the sauce to another level altogether. I served this over hilopites, a Greek egg pasta, but you can easily serve it over rice or mashed potatoes.



Sikoti me Kremmydia Kai Hilopites--Calf's Liver and Caramelized Onions over Egg Pasta
Makes 4 servings

1 1/4 pound piece calf's liver, rinsed and sliced into strips
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup sherry or marsala
1/2 pound Hilopites, cooked, drained and tossed with butter

Heat oil in a large skillet, add onions and season with salt. Stir and cook over high heat until softened. Cover skillet, turn heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile season the liver slices with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Add liver to the skillet and saute until browned on both sides. Remove liver and onions to a bowl and keep warm. Set the skillet over high heat and deglaze with the wine. Serve the liver and onions over the hilopites with some sauce spooned on top.

6 comments:

Ivy said...

Maria this sounds amazing. I haven't cooked calf's liver ever since the mad cows' disease, when we stopped buying. The only liver we eat is during Easter.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

A good source of iron Maria! Love the caramelised onions...it adds a nice touch to the whole dish. And who can say no to hilopites?

gastroanthropologist said...

This looks so delicious! I love calf's liver and never thought to have it with pasta. Carmelized onions must be a wonderful addition of flavor in this.

Maria Verivaki said...

fried liver and onions are a fantastic combination. not many people realise how palatable the liver becomes when combined with onions (and i mean lots of onions).

egg pasta adds a nice touch to a wholesome dish

♥Rosie♥ said...

This really looks so good Maria. I haven't had liver now for a while and it's one of my hubby's favourite dishes!

hoca said...

How do we print just the recipe itself? RSVP Thanks