Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cranberry Mavrodaphne Clafoutis

I've always wanted to make clafoutis but for some very, very odd reason haven't. I'm not sure why ... these little desserts are really quite simple and so versatile. A complement to any and all seasonal fruit, they are the perfect ending to a savory dinner or a sweet and simple addition to a friendly brunch.



Cranberries, fresh or dried, embody (at least for me) the spirit of fall. They're tart flavor and deep red hue just scream autumn. Simmered in wine and scented with cinnamon, they made the perfect base for these buttery clafoutis.

The Greek dessert wine Mavrodaphne is similar to port but sweeter and beautifully balanced the tartness of the cranberries here. Using the dried fruit made these clafoutis even simpler and though I loved every part of the dessert, I am looking forward to making clafoutis using fresh cranberries as well.




Cranberry Mavrodaphne Clafoutis
(Adapted from a recipe on Epicurious.com)

1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup Mavrodaphne
1/2 cup water
2 cinnamon sticks
3 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp sugar mixed with 1/8 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack placed in center of oven. Butter either one 8- to 9-inch baking dish or 6 to 8 ramekins.
In a small saucepan, simmer the cranberries, Mavrodaphne, water and cinnamon sticks uncovered until it's of a syrupy consistency. Pour the simmered fruit into the baking dish or ramekins and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, sugar, flour, vanilla and salt until smooth and pour into the dish or ramekins. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over top and bake until puffed and set in center, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool the clafoutis briefly and serve.

15 comments:

Maree said...

I must try these soon- they look absolutely divine!!

Unknown said...

I have never tried these either, and yours are inspiring! I love the in the individual ramekins!

Ivy said...

Great idea to use dried cranberries. I have poached frozen cranberries the same way with more spices and it was lovely.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Maria, the use of mavrodaphne in this is fantastic. Cranberries are just so good too! I made my first clafoutis recently as well, using cherries. It was great! Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Ever since I saw posts and posts about Julia Child's Clafouti's I had to make it. Love the additional touches here Maria.

Shopaholic said...

I like the way you make the clafoutis in individual portion, more elegant to serve this way. Would love to taste the Greek dessert wine one day!
Janet @Gourmet Traveller88

Betty's Cuisine said...

ωχ! τι ωραίο γλυκάκι! δεν έχω δοκιμάσει ποτέ αλλά μου φαίνεται πολύ δελεαστικό! πρέπει να το φτιάξω κάποια στιγμή...

Thistlemoon said...

YUM YUM YUM. I just recently made clafoutis too, and loved it. This is an excellent looking rendition.

Karine said...

I discovered clafoutis last summer and it is indeed so versatile! I love yours, it sounds amazing :)

Anonymous said...

I would have never thought of using mavrodaphne in a clafoutis, but I guess that it will work really well with the tanginess of the cranberries. Love the photos too, they make the dish look so decadent...

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and tasty clafoutis! I love the idea of the mavrodaphne with the cranberries.

Teanna DiMicco said...

That greek dessert wine sounds so interesting! Gorgeous dessert!

Núria said...

I have never made clafoutis myself neither! However, yours look absolutely delicious and really inspiring... maybe time has come :D.

Thanks Maria!

Peter M said...

Aren't they(clafoutis) so easy? It's a good last-minute dessert option and very pragmatic. Here, cranberries are the feature, next time it could be something else!

Muneeba said...

For some reason, I haven't made clafoutis this year at all ... no idea why, 'coz u're right abt it being so easy! Yours look light & fluffy & irresistible!