Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ricotta Pancakes with Fig Compote

This weekend we picked the last of the figs off of our fig trees and it's safe to say we're all "figged" out. Since early September we've been blessed with literally hundreds of sweet purple-fleshed figs and I've made everything from a Greek fig spoon sweet; to roasted figs stuffed with Gorgonzola and wrapped in prosciutto; to a cinnamon-spiced fig jam; to two large batches of vanilla-scented fig compote. Not to mention that we ate dozens of these little fruits as is.

On Sunday morning, I opened my fridge to see a half full (some might say half empty) container of ricotta on one shelf and a jar of fig compote on another. The kiddies asked for a batch of pancakes so it was only natural I whip up some ricotta pancakes and serve them with a spoonful of fig compote, right?

I've seen some ricotta pancake recipes call for separating the eggs, adding yolks to the initial batter, then whipping the egg whites to stiff peaks and folding those in as well. I have to admit, I think those steps are kind of unnecessary. Not that I've done any experiments to officially note any differences between either method, but I've always been left satisfied with the fluffy, light pancakes my simple whisking of all ingredients has yielded.

So here's my recipe for ricotta pancakes. I flavored this batch with a splash of my aunt's homemade vanilla but feel free to add either orange or lemon zest to perk these pancakes up as well.

Ricotta Pancakes with Fig Compote
Makes about 8 pancakes

1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1 cup ricotta
Butter (for coating griddle)
Fig compote (recipe below)

In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and salt until well combined. Add the sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk and ricotta and whisk briefly (batter should be lumpy so don't over stir). Note: If the batter seems much too thick add a splash of milk to thin it out.

Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat and once hot coat with a little butter. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto the hot griddle and cook until small holes begin to form on top. Using a spatula, flip the pancake and cook just a couple minutes more until golden. Note: To keep other pancakes warm while making the rest, place on a baking sheet, cover with foil and heat in a 175-degree oven.

Serve pancakes with a spoonful of compote and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Fresh Fig Compote
Clean and dry about three cups of fresh small- to medium-size figs. Peel the figs carefully. Slice the figs in half and add to a saucepan along with 1/2 cup sugar and 2 cups water. Cook until the figs are really tender and reduced to a jam-like consistency. If needed, add a bit more water to continue cooking figs until tender.

Once done, remove pan from heat and stir in a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Let compote cool then spoon into sterilised jars; cover tightly and store in the refrigerator. Serve over pancakes, ice cream, yogurt or mascarpone cheese.

14 comments:

Betty's Cuisine said...

Αχ Μαρία μου τώρα χτύπησες το αδύνατο σημείο μου! Πως μ'αρέσουν οι τηγανίτες... αλλά και πόσα χρόνια έχω να φάω! τις αποφεύγω τις άτιμες γιατί άμα ξεκινήσω ξεχνάω να σταματήσω, χαχα...
αλλά και το σύκο από δίπλα...όλα τα λεφτά!

Ivy said...

Maria, I was beginning to be worried but I'm glad you're blogging again. Your post just reminded me of how we met and it seems that more than a year has passed since you started your blog, so Happy Blogoversary. I love the fig compote.

Maria said...

Oi tiganites Betty einai pragmati ethistikoi!

Ivy, you're right, I did start this blog last September with figs and we did first "meet" when I wrote you to ask if you had a fig spoon sweet recipe to share! I'd been without a camera since we returned from Greece and took my time choosing a new one ... plus I took a a little hiatus from blogging just to get back into the swing of things. But now I'm back!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Good to see you back Maria! I love every part of this dish...light fluffy pancakes, gorgeous figs. I'd also love to know how your aunt makes her own vanilla extract (it's probably something really easy!)..

theonikm said...

Maria, wonderful, wonderfu food!
Look forward to more of your creative culinary adventures!

Alexandra Stafford said...

Oh wow. This recipe looks fabulous! I tried a ricotta pancake recipe a little while ago that failed me. I will try this one next time. And what a good idea to use figs. Beautiful!

alexandra
www.alexandracooks.com

Unknown said...

I would love to eat this photograph right now!

Anonymous said...

Ricotta pancakes sound delightful especially with fig compote, excellent!

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, Maria, this really looks fantastic. I am sad to say our fig tree only produced two figs this year and they both fell off before they were ripe. Then last week out of the blue, all the leaves fell off of it. I am just heartbroken...:(
Figs are one of my favorite fruits! So I will enjoy your recipes!

Unknown said...

These look really yummy. I have started using ricotta in various things (try it win mashed potatoes) with great results and I think the combination with the figs is a real winner.

Núria said...

I'm crazy about figs!!! I love them!!! A pity I'm the only one at home enjoying them... I love anything fig related and compote sounds beautiful to me :D

Maria Verivaki said...

brilliant - i think this will constitute my weekend dessert project, using a friend's recent present of fig jam!

Anonymous said...

These look and sound fantastic. How nice to have a fig tree!

Peter M said...

You are so fortunate that fig trees grew there in New York. Our climate is not that different...they can't last through our winters. :(